Monday, 3rd August to Saturday, 8th August
Depart: Scout hall at 7:30am. We should all fit in the minibus, meeting up with Greystones Scouts along the way. We will be travelling in uniform.. Please ensure you have it.
Arrive Home: Saturday Evening
Accommodation: Connemara Mountain Hostel, Inagh Valley, Recess, Co. Galway. (Originally we were going to camp in Roundstone).
Activities: Overnight paddle and bivvy on Island, Water activities, Hiking.
What to Bring:
You should try and fit all your gear into a single rucksack. No wheelie bags or suitcases! You may also bring a small “day bag”.
You should eat a good breakfast before we set off and bring a packed lunch for the journey.
- Scout Uniform (Scout shirt, Gorey Necker and respectable shorts or trousers **Tracksuit or swimming shorts not acceptable**). You won’t be allowed on the bus unless you are wearing your uniform….. you have been warned 😉
- 3 full changes of clothes
- raingear (jacket and waterproof trousers)
- hiking boots + thick hiking socks
- water shoes
- warm fleece top
- hat and gloves
- swimming gear (Bring a wetsuit if you have one)
- toothbrush, toothpaste and toiletries
- towel (for drying yourself with)
- towel of the tea variety (for drying dishes with)
- sleeping bag
- roll mat
- bivvy bag
- eating utensils, bowl and mug
- head torch
- water bottle
- sense of humour (you may need to remind the leaders about this too)
What NOT to Bring:
- Energy Drinks
- Illegal substances.
- Expensive electronic devices.. if it breaks you won’t be happy!
Spending Money: You should need no more than €20 for snacks, etc.
Mobile Phones: Use it to take photos and to send your parents the odd text during the week to let them know that you are ok.. otherwise, leave it in your bag and switched off.
Behaviour: You are expected to act appropriately at all times and to follow the directions of all leaders. If you do not, you’re parents won’t be very happy driving all the way to Galway to bring you home.
Fees: Please remember that you must have all your Subs and the camp fee paid before we leave. We will not accept cash on the day of departure. If you have any difficulties with this, please contact Mark.